What Is Salmonella?
Salmonella is bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. People and animals can contract Salmonella infection by consuming contaminated food or water. Foods that are heavily associated with Salmonella contamination are eggs, meat and poultry. Fortunately, solutions offered by Log10 can offer ways to remediate or even protect your company from contamination.
How Dangerous Is Salmonella?
There are many different types of Salmonella that cause about one million foodborne illnesses in the United States every year. It’s characterized by symptoms of fever, abdominal cramps and diarrhea ranging in severity. Onset is rapid — usually 12 to 72 hours following infection — and the disease usually runs its course in four to seven days.
In some cases, however, diarrhea can become severe causing extreme dehydration. Infection can spread to the bloodstream, which can be fatal without immediate treatment. Children 5 years of age and under have the highest Salmonella infection rate.
What Are Some Examples of Outbreaks Involving Salmonella?
Salmonella can be found in many foods and processing environments like beef, chicken, eggs, fruits, pork, sprouts, vegetables, and even processed foods, such as nut butters, frozen pot pies, chicken nuggets and stuffed chicken entrees.
- Peanut Butter – Salmonella Bredeney.
- Mangoes – Salmonella Braenderup.
- Cantaloupe – Salmonella Typhimurium and Salmonella Newport.
- Ground Beef – Salmonella Enteritidis.
- Raw Scraped Ground Tuna Product – Salmonella Bareilly and Salmonella Nchanga.
- Wood Ear Mushrooms – Salmonella Stanley
- Peaches – Salmonella Enteritidis
- Onions – Salmonella Newport
- Cut Fruit – Salmonella Javiana
- Ground Beef – Salmonella Dublin
- Papayas – Salmonella Uganda
- Tahini – Salmonella Concord
- Frozen Raw Tuna – Salmonella Newport
- Pre-Cut Melon – Salmonella Carrau
- Ground Turkey – Salmonella Schwarzengrund
- Tahini – Salmonella Concord
- Salmonella Agbeni Infections
- Raw Chicken Products – Salmonella Infantis
- Ground Beef – Salmonella Newport
- Shell Eggs – Salmonella Enteritidis
- Chicken – Salmonella I 4,],12:i:-
- Raw Turkey Products – Salmonella Infections
- Pasta Salad – Salmonella Sandiego
- Cereal – Salmonella Mbandaka
- Pre-Cut Melon – Salmonella Adelaide
- Shell Eggs – Salmonella Braenderup
- Dried Coconut – Salmonella Typhimurium
- Chicken Salad – Salmonella Typhimurium
- Kratom – Salmonella I 4,,12:b:-
- Raw Sprouts – Salmonella Montevideo
- Frozen Shredded Coconut – Salmonella I 4,,12:b:- and Salmonella Newport
Check out the most current Salmonella outbreaks from the CDC website.
How Can You Test For The Presence Of Salmonella?
Log10 provides reliable and accurate testing for Salmonella in products and environment samples with a 2-day turnaround. Whether you’ve experienced and outbreak before and/or want to proactively protect yourself from one, Log10 can help every step of the way.
What Are Treatment Options for Salmonella & Salmonella Biofilms?
Log10 carefully selects strains of probiotics that inhibit the growth of Salmonella and are included in custom Pre-Liminate™ probiotic blends. These proprietary blends can be used to remediate Salmonella in food products or the environment, including resistant Salmonella biofilms. This effectively removes biofilms to create a safe food production environment.