The use of probiotics is a proven safe and effective preventive control in your food safety arsenal. If you aren’t using probiotics for pathogen mitigation, you may not be aware just how many dangerous pathogens probiotics can reduce or eliminate. More and more food growing, processing and storage companies are looking to bacterial remediation companies because they’re a safer, organic and highly effective as a pathogen removal service.
Log10® can provide custom pathogen remediation probiotics to eliminate pathogens, such as:
- Salmonella: Salmonella is a strain of bacteria well known for making people sick. It’s commonly contracted through contaminated food or water — especially meat, poultry or eggs. People infected with Salmonella typically suffer from diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps beginning anywhere from 12 to 72 hours after infection. While some people recover without treatment in a week or less, in severe cases, it can be potentially fatal.
- E. Coli: E. coli is an abbreviated name for Escherichia Coli. This includes a variety of strains of bacteria found in the intestinal tracts of people and animals. Some forms of E. Coli are harmless, while others can cause illnesses ranging from diarrhea and urinary tract infections to pneumonia. One strain of E. Coli, Shiga Toxin-producing E. Coli (STEC), is a dangerous strain commonly cited as the cause for many foodborne pathogen outbreaks.
- Listeria: Listeria monocytogenes, abbreviated L. mono causes an extremely dangerous bacterial infection called Listeriosis. It is usually contracted when ingesting contaminated food. It has recently been most notably associated with deli meats, hot dogs, dairy products, soft cheeses, cantaloupes, sprouts and raw pet food. Pregnant women, newborns, the elderly and those with weakened immune systems are the most vulnerable to this deadly bacteria.
- Staphylococcus Aureus: Commonly called “Staph” has the ability to make toxins that can cause food poisoning. It can be found in unpasteurized milk and cheese products and is able to live in salty food such as ham. Although the bacteria can be killed by cooking, the toxins produced are unaffected by heat and can still cause illness. The toxins are very fast-acting and able to cause symptoms quickly, within only 30 minutes of ingestion. Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
- Yersinia: Yersinia is a bacterium that causes human enteric yersinosis usually when it’s ingested with food — it’s most commonly found in pork products, especially pig intestines. Symptoms of yersinosis are similar to those of salmonella, such as diarrhea, abdominal pain and fever.
- Clostridium: Clostridium is one of the most frequently identified foodborne pathogens. The CDC estimates that Clostridium is the culprit in close to one million cases of foodborne illness per year. It is a spore-forming bacterium commonly found in soil and water which can survive high temperatures and grow very rapidly. These bacteria commonly produce a toxin while growing inside the intestines which leads to illness. Symptoms of infection include diarrhea, severe abdominal cramping, fever, and colitis.
- Campylobacter: Campylobacter is another common foodborne pathogen, attributed to more than a million cases of gastrointestinal infections. Usually, it is contracted from consuming contaminated and undercooked poultry, unpasteurized dairy products or contaminated water. People can also contract it from contact with infected animals. Symptoms can be mild and include abdominal pain, fever, cramping and diarrhea. In severe cases, especially in very young children, elderly, and immunocompromised individuals death can occur.
- Indicator Organisms: Indicator organisms are microorganisms that aren’t necessarily dangerous in and of themselves, but are used to monitor conditions in environments. A positive test for indicator organisms shows the probable presence of pathogenic organisms in the environment in which the sample was collected.
Pathogen Mitigation With Log10 Custom Probiotic Blends
If you are concerned with or have experienced contamination from the pathogens noted above or any other pathogens, we can help you with remediation by designing exclusive Pre-Liminate™ probiotics specifically to meet the needs of your company. Contact Log10 today for more information about customized probiotic remediation of foodborne pathogens.