Copyright February 2019
Pet food manufacturers often include probiotics in their formulas for a variety of reasons like digestive health and stool quality. Additionally, with the Pre-Liminate™ probiotic blends from Log10, LLC®, manufacturers can now prevent and eliminate food-borne pathogens like Salmonella spp. and Listeria spp.
The possible negative effects of a new additive in dog food on stool quality, color, and odor are major concerns to manufacturers. An experiment was conducted to determine the effects of Log10® Pre-Liminate™ on these concerns in healthy dogs. A commercial kibble was offered at 0.66 lb. per day to six dogs housed individually for nine days. On day 10, the same kibble treated with Pre-Liminate™ was offered for an additional five days. Pre-Liminate™ showed no effect upon stool quality, color, or odor.
- Diet A: Commercial dry dog food kibble without Pre-Liminate™ probiotics.
- Diet B: Diet A with dry Pre-Liminate™ formula D3.1, containing our proprietary blend of probiotics, applied to kibble topically by mixing mechanically for 10 minutes. The application rate greatly exceeded that recommended for controlling pathogens in practice.
Animals and feeding: Six adult, healthy Beagles with no signs of gastrointestinal distress were held in individual cages at a commercial kennel. Each animal was offered Diet A (untreated) for nine consecutive days, and Diet B (treated) for the following five consecutive days (Days 10 to 14). Each dog was offered 0.66 lb. of kibble once daily.
Responses: Stools were graded daily.
- Quality (i.e., texture) was evaluated using a 5 point scale which is standard for companion animal feeding trials (1 = Liquid, 2 = Loose, 3 = Soft, 4 = Normal, 5 = Too hard).
- Color was designated as light, medium, or dark brown.
- Odor was noted only if there was a distinct difference from other dogs.
Stool Quality: Each stool sample from every dog graded 4 (Normal) when both untreated and treated diets were offered.
Stool Color and Odor: There were no detectable differences among treatments, dogs, or days during the trial.
|Stool Quality of Dogs Fed Commercial Kibble Untreated and Treated with Pre-LiminateTM|
Day of Feeding
Topical application of Log10® Pre-Liminate™ to a commercial dry dog food kibble had no effect on stool quality, color, or odor in healthy dogs.